Mamas, Ever Think of a Side Gig?
What happens when our kids get to school age and we want to get back to work?
Most mamas, once the kids are a bit older, get that itch to either return back to work, or start something on the side.
The thing with ‘returning back to work’ is that it usually requires certain hours. And a lot of the time those hours are not for us to decide.
So a new dilemma comes our way. What can we possibly do that will give us the free time to be at every school activity our kids have. Plus, I love being home when my kids arrive from school so I can feed them and be with them.
When my oldest went to nursery school I started an online business.
Well, that’s kind of true. I started a travel blog. At that time we lived in Costa Rica and traveled a lot with our young boy. I have always been crazy passionate about travel (taking several gap years to backpack around different continents). And I started to write about our adventures. Without even realizing it, my site became quite popular and I started to inspire families to travel more and more to Central America.
All of a sudden my site went from hobby to business. At first it was slow, but then it really took off and I had to put in a lot of time and hours. Even though I totally decided when I would work, it was still a lot.
By the time my second boy was born, we were already living in Guatemala, and I knew that continuing with this business the way it was, simply wasn’t scalable. Plus, truth be told, I didn’t want to do it that much anymore.
What once was my everything, turned into burn out.
Once my second boy was in nursery school, I was ready to get back in the game once again. But this time, I didn’t want a business that required me to market myself, to network or rely on clients and readers and fans. That alone takes so much time and energy, that by the time the true money work comes in, you are exhausted.
And running a brick and mortar type of business, was not an option at all.
Plus, I had to really focus on what was my passion, my love. If you’re going to do any sort of business, work for yourself, you need to do what you love.
I had to truly connect with what would drive me, inspire me and get me pumped up. It’s one thing to enjoy something, and another to devote time to learning, applying and excelling at.
Besides travel, I had always been attracted to the financial markets. Ever since I could remember I wanted to somehow be involved with them. I did long term investing, but that’s really not something you do daily.
I knew I wanted more.
That’s how I discovered Day Trading. And have never looked back.
I know. I know. Day Trading evokes the scariest emotions. There are way too many stigmas, fears and other issues that surround this industry.
Don’t get me wrong, I had a lot of challenges in front of me. However, after struggling and getting caught up in the misconceptions and myths, I had a huge breakthrough.
Day Trading can be simple!
Day Trading can be peaceful!
Day Trading has nothing to do with gambling, or speculating, or huge risk.
On the contrary, once you have a solid plan in place. You have your trade set ups, your strategy and risk management, it’s all about consistency and discipline.
And let’s face it, isn’t that what we thrive for in our everyday doings too?
But the best part about Day Trading, if you think of it like a business, here are the facts:
- Up front investment – unlike we are meant to believe – depending on the market you decide to trade, you can start with only about $2000.
- Education – you can’t start a new career, a new direction without the right education. There are so many resources for learning to Day Trade online that you can easily learn and start practicing all in the comfort of your own home
- Practicing – the beauty about this is you don’t have to practice in the live market. There are many FREE platforms that you can practice during the live market but in paper money mode. And if you can’t do it during market hours, no worries, most of these platforms have replay mode which means you simply upload a certain day you want to review and you can do live market simulation any time of the day, night and weekends.
- It’s all about you – You don’t need to spend time marketing your skills to anyone. You don’t need to network or get the word out for your new business. Because you are fully and truly working for yourself.
- Flexibility – most traders don’t trade more than 2-3 hours a day. There are several reasons for this. Mainly, your mind gets tired and you don’t perform at your optimum levels. Plus, once you have profits why continue.
- Location independence – we all want to have the freedom to work from anywhere we want. Day Trading requires 2 things – a laptop and good internet connection. I have traded in cafes, traveling with my family in various parts of the world and best of all in the comfort of my own home (most times in my pj’s).
Day Trading is a business that is completely overlooked by moms. But if you chose the super conservative route, like me, looking for small profits, not getting greedy and being happy with one small step at a time, this is one of the best things you can do.
And it’s not at all like a job, it’s a lifestyle, one that you can inspire your kids to follow as well.
Excuses Are Over – It’s Time to Trade!